Try Scuba Diving in Gran Canaria
There is no better step to take towards your first scuba diving experience than with a Try Dive here in Gran Canaria. At Puerto Rico Diving, our motto is “We make the difference” and that is no more true than with our Try Dive programmes. We promise once our experienced instructors have guided you through your first breaths underwater, you won’t want to stop scuba diving!
So we know you are thinking “easier said than done” right? And you have all kinds of questions running through your head. With our experience as instructors we have put together a list of the most frequently asked questions and answered them for you below.
What is a Try Dive?
A try dive allows you to experience scuba diving without committing yourself to a certification course. The PADI Try Dive (Discover Scuba Dive) programme allows those who have never tried scuba diving before to safely experience the thrill of breathing underwater in just half a day! Discover a whole new world underneath the sea, and view fantastic marine life up close in their natural habitat. We believe it is important that your first taste of scuba diving should be as relaxing, informative and safe as possible.
Who can participate in a Try Dive (PADI Discover Scuba Dive)?
Everyone! As long as you are older than 10 years old and are in reasonable physical health*, there is nothing stopping you experience how awesome the underwater world is!
*We have a specific medical questionnaire which we will go through with you personally prior to diving (can be seen here) Do not worry, this is not as scary as it seems. At Puerto Rico Diving you’re safety is of the upmost important to us, so this questionnaire helps us know if you have any medical conditions which may affect your well being whilst underwater.
What can I expect during my Try Dive?
When doing a Try Dive with Puerto Rico Diving centre, we want to give you the best scuba diving experience possible.
- When you do a Try Dive with us it will be a maximum of 2 students to one instructor.
- Your instructors support begins the moment you step in our door, from helping with paperwork to fitting you with our top of the range diving equipment (Don’t worry we have sizes to fit everyone! Including small tanks especially for children)
- A 5 minute drive to our local dive site, Playa de Amadores, the perfect shore diving location for your first scuba diving experience.
- A thorough briefing given by your experienced instructor including having your equipment set up for you, then demonstrating that everything is in full working order (we find this reduces any stress regarding the equipment once in the water)
- You will learn underwater skills which you will use during every scuba dive in the future.
- A guided dive where you can get up close and personal with the beautiful marine life Gran Canaria has to offer.
- No stress about having to roll off a boat when you dive with Puerto Rico Diving, we will walk into the ocean from the beach, taking everything at a pace you are comfortable with.
- A try dive with Puerto Rico Diving is fun, relaxed and diver orientated!
I don’t like getting salt water in my eyes, does this mean I can’t take part in a Try Dive?
Definitely not! Trust us when we say, nobody enjoys getting salt water in their eyes. We have a wide variety of masks we use for scuba diving, to ensure that every one has a mask which fits comfortably during their try dive. In the event of a small amount of water getting in your mask during your Try Dive, we have that covered too as we will teach you how to get rid of this water with a super quick and easy method!
What will I see Underwater?
In Gran Canaria we have a huge variety of marine life waiting to be seen. We promise seeing these animals in their natural habitat is a million times better than seeing them through a thick sheet of glass in an Aquarium. During our Try Dives we often see Octopus, Cuttlefish, Parrotfish, Ornate Wrasse, Pipefish, Damselfish and Lizard fish to name a few. In Gran Canaria we are also extremely lucky to have frequent sightings of different species of String Rays and also Angel Sharks. (Please do not let the word “Shark” put you off, these sharks are completely harmless and some even say, cute) Check out our social media channels for photos and videos of what you can expect to see during your Try Dive with Puerto Rico Diving.
How do I go about booking my Try Dive?
Easy! Contact us using which ever method you prefer (E-mail, Phone call, Text, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger; we pretty much use every method of communication apart from the post- who wants to wait for letters when there is diving to be done?!) Let us know when you will be in Gran Canaria and we can arrange this unforgettable experience for you for only €70 per person.
ALL INCLUSIVE: Equipment, Tank, Insurance, 2:1 Tuition, Transportation We offer a free pick up and drop off service in the south of Gran Canaria. Including: Puerto Rico, Puerto de Mogan, Playa de Mogan, Taurito, Tauro, Playa del Cura, Arguineguin, Playa del Ingles, Maspalomoas, Melenores, Bahia Feliz and Salobre Golf.